Whole Body Composition Exam Prep
Find out when you book
Call us to book an appointment at 780.450.1500 or 1.800.355.1755Request Appointment Online
What is Whole Body Composition?
Whether you are a high-performance athlete or just starting a wellness program, MIC’s whole body composition analysis can help you achieve your overall health and fitness goals.
MIC uses dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry or DXA to determine your body composition. This special x-ray machine uses a very low dose of radiation to scan your whole body.
DXA measures the total amount of three types of tissue:
- The mineral in your bones (called bone mineral content or BMC).
- Lean tissue including muscle, ligaments, tendons, and body organs such as the heart, lungs, liver, and bowels.
- Body fat.
Understanding your body composition is a valuable tool for managing your health and fitness. Many of our patients are most interested in their body fat percentage. DXA measures the total amount of fat in your body and expresses this as a percentage of your total body weight.
If you are part of a weight loss or training program, a DXA analysis can help you keep track of your results.
Find out more
Whole Body Composition Results (Sample form)
Whole Body Composition Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a cost?
Yes. Whole body composition analysis is not insured by Alberta Health.
The cost is $60.
You will need a requisition from your healthcare practitioner.
What to expect
- When you arrive, we will ask you to change into a gown if there is any metal on your clothing since it will interfere with the measurements. We will also ask you to remove any jewellry.
- Our technologist will position you on a padded examination bed. You will need to remain still for the entire procedure which takes 7-10 minutes.
- A small arm of the DXA machine will gradually pass over you to measure your body components.
- Our technologist will provide you with your results.